Introduction to Meaning and Uses of Clear Quartz
Ordinary yet extraordinary, colorful and clear, Quartz crystals are the most common and abundant in the world, comprising the largest and most diverse family in the mineral kingdom. “From ancient times to the present day, quartz crystals have been a source of Light to mankind. Highly valued by spiritual leaders and healers as well as scientists, the unique attributes of quartz have played a key role in mankind’ evolutionary development.” (Baer, R, “Windows of Light” preface)
Composed of silicon and oxygen (silicon dioxide), Quartz, from the European “quarz“, is a key component in a wide array of minerals designated as “silicates.” It occurs as prismatic hexagonal crystals in compact masses and druses, as well as in dense fibrous or grainy formations without visible crystals. It is also an important mineral element in common rock such as granite, quartzite and gneiss, and in sedimentary conglomerates like sandstone. [Simmons, 317][www.Quartzpage.de]
For all its variety, when most people speak of “crystals”, they are usually referring to Rock Crystal (Clear Quartz), the six-sided prisms of pure light and energy known as the Perfect Jewel. In its sparkling light is contained the entire color spectrum.
In the metaphysical world, Clear Quartz crystals are the supreme gift of Mother Earth. Even the smallest is imbued with the properties of a master healer teacher. Ancients believed these stones to be alive, taking a breath once every hundred years or so, and many cultures thought them to be incarnations of the Divine.
Today’s healers agree, believing crystals are living beings, incredibly old and wise, and willing to communicate when an individual is open and ready to receive. Wearing, carrying or meditating with a Clear Quartz crystal opens the mind and heart to higher guidance, allowing the realm of Spirit to be transmitted and translated into the world of physical form.
Resonating at the level of an individual’s needs, Clear Quartz also amplifies whatever energy or intent is programmed into it, and continues to broadcast that energy throughout the world and into the etheric realms. This may accelerate the fulfillment of one’s prayers, intensify healing or spiritual growth, or simply allow the crystal to hold a pattern of energy long enough and strongly enough for the manifestation of a goal to occur. [Hall II, 22][Eason, 133][Simmons, 318][Ahsian, 319]
“Quartz crystals are the manifestation of the Creator’s finest hour of expression. The are windows of light with many facets which show the myriad dimensions of life created from cosmic dust in an ever expanding universe. Divine plan as foreordained that all expanding life revolve around one common denominator, quartz crystal. Through frozen solidified light all creation could be monitored and assisted through the evolutionary process.”Beverly Criswell “Quartz Crystals: A Celestial Point of View” ( quoted in “Windows of Light”, by Vicki and Randall Baer)
Clear Quartz, pure silicon dioxide, is also called Rock Crystal or Ice Crystal, from the Greek word “krystallos”, meaning “ice”, because crystal was believed to be water frozen so hard it could never thaw. The prismatic hexagonal crystals have relatively smooth sides and naturally facetted terminations at one or both ends, and may be transparent as glass, milky or striated, often found in clusters and ranging in all sizes. The terminations have different facet shapes depending on the rate at which they were formed, and these shapes are deeply significant.[Simmons, 318][Hall, 225] (See Crystals by Shape)
Throughout history, Clear Quartz has been valued by nearly every civilization as far back as Atlantis and Lemuria, where the sun’s power was believed to be harnessed through a crystal as a source of solar energy refraction. They, along with Native American Indians, African tribes, ancient Egyptians, Aztecs, Romans, Scots and countless other cultures used Clear Quartz in diagnostic healing, meditations and spiritual development, as religious objects and in funerary rites, and to dispel evil and magical enchantments. [Mella, 82][Melody, 506][Kunz, 219] (See the Powers, Legends and Lore section at the end of this article.)
Types of Quartz
Quartz encompasses a whole family of stones, found on nearly every continent, in virtually every color conceivable. In addition to the properties of Clear Quartz discussed on this page, the following types of Quartz have their own specific properties, some with links to their own pages.
Macro crystalline varieties form crystals or have a macroscopical crystalline structure. They are usually referred to as “Quartz.”
Macro crystalline varieties:
- Rock Crystal is pure, clear Quartz, often with a milky base. Its properties are listed on this page.
- Amethyst is pale purple to deep violet; known as the Bishop’s Stone, it represents royalty and spirituality, and is a crystal of creativity.
- Ametrine is a combination of Amethyst and Citrine in the same stone; a “stone of the muses,” it connects spirituality, action and overcoming fear.
- Aventurine may be green, blue or reddish-brown with a metallic iridescence; it is a stone of optimism, leadership and prosperity.
- Blue Quartz is clear Quartz with tiny blue inclusions that create a pale to mid-blue color; it brings harmony and order, mental clarity and eases fear.
- Citrine is transparent and pale to golden yellow; it promotes imagination and magnifies the powers of personal will and manifestation.
- Pink Quartz forms in rare clusters of small, well-formed crystals, pale to deep reddish-pink, translucent to transparent; a “stone of innocence and discovery,” it nurtures self-love and respect of others.
- Rose Quartz is a massive form of Quartz, pale to deep reddish-pink, opaque to translucent; a “stone of beauty and love,” it promotes compassion, appreciation and soothing calm.
- Prase is a leek-green Quartzite (rock rather than a mineral) with actinolite inclusions; an “earth mother” stone, it resolve conflicts and calms nerves.
- Prasiolite is Green Amethyst; leek-green and rare naturally, it is often heat-treated; it provides a bridge between the body, mind and spirit.
- Smoky Quartz is transparent smoky brown to dark gray; it is a premiere grounding stone, dissipating emotional and environmental negativity.
- Tiger’s, Hawk’s, and Cat’s Eye is Quartz layered with chatoyant strips of asbestos and hornblende; Tiger’s Eye is golden brown, Hawk’s or Falcon’s Eye is blue-black, and Cat’s Eye is green to greenish-gray. These are stones of action, pride, protection, and reflecting back negative energies.
Cryptocrystalline or microcrystalline varieties have a dense structure and show no visible crystals. They are often grouped together and referred to as “Chalcedony.” They are divided into two groups.
- Agate is usually banded in layers and forms in every color; it is a stabilizing and strengthening stone, facilitating acceptance of one’s self.
- Carnelian is translucent pale orange to deep red-orange; it is a stone of motivation and endurance, leadership and courage.
- Chalcedony varies in color and pattern, blue is a favorite; the “speaker’s stone,” it encourages peace-making and carefully choosing one’s words.
- Onyx is opaque layers of black, brown, gray, black/white or red/white, and is often carved in cameos; it provides inner strength, stability and fortitude.
- Sard is brown Chalcedony with a reddish hue; it is a protective stone, dispelling negative influences and providing inner strength.
- Chert is brown, gray or black and resembles Flint, but is more brittle; it aids memory, and is a stone of stability and daily productivity.
- Flint is brown, gray or black, solid or layered, and very hard; a stone of grounding, it promotes understanding, communication and integrity.
- Jasper is opaque, large-grained and found in all colors, most always layered or patterned; a “supreme nurturer,” it is revered as sacred, protective, and encourages humility and compassion.
- Heliotrope or Bloodstone is dark green with red spots; a stone of the sun and legendary bearer of Christ’s blood, it promotes healing, selflessness and idealism.
Quartz Uses and Purposes
Quartz crystal is valued for its piezoelectric and pyroelectric properties, by which it can transform mechanical pressure or heat into electromagnetic energy, and vice versa. Its ability to focus, amplify, store and transform energy is used throughout the technology world in ultrasound devices, watches, microphones, radio transmitters and receivers, memory chips in computers and other electronic circuitry. [Raphaell, 10-11][Simmons, 317][Melody, 503]
The same properties of energy amplification, programmability and memory also make Clear Quartz the most versatile and multidimensional stone in the mineral kingdom for healing, meditation, expansion of consciousness, communication with guides, past-life recall, attracting love or prosperity, or virtually any purpose. However, with this power comes responsibility. To benefit from Rock Crystal’s blessings, one must feel in harmony with it and deserve its gifts. Intent other than for good inevitably brings harm back on oneself. [Simmons, 318][Megemont, 73]
Clear Quartz is excellent for amplifying the energies of other stones or to enhance groups of stones, and is ideal for gridding. It is the perfect base material for wands, staffs, templates, etc., and clear crystal spheres have long been used for crystal gazing. [Simmons, 318]
For ongoing personal energy, carry Clear Quartz as a tumblestone or touch as needed for an instant lift. Add Quartz crystals to bath water, or make an elixir to drink or splash on pulse points by soaking Clear Quartz crystals in water from first light to midday. In the workplace, use as a filter against negativity and to transform critical words. [Eason, 133] Crystals are professional support stones for artists, stylists, doctors and healers, inventors, musicians, and those who work in media. [Mella, 129-132]
Clear Quartz produces a force field of healing negative ions while clearing the surroundings of positive ions, protecting the aura. It dispels static electricity, and cancels out the harmful effects of radiation and radioactivity. [Melody, 505]
Clear Quartz brings strength and clarity to the intellect, aiding concentration and memory retention, and filtering out distractions. Its hypnotic quality is conducive to sleep, helping one to understand the messages and lessons conveyed during the dream state. It is also a respected stone for death, included in many cultures in funeral rites and placed in tombs, urns, and sepulchres. [Megemont, 73][Melody, 505][Kunz, 219]
As an energy saver, Clear Quartz attached to the fuel line in a car is reputed to reduce fuel consumption. [Hall, 225]